DH and I had a date today. We roadtripped to Hornitos again, this time to just walk through the little town. It's all of about three blocks long but so much is packed into those three blocks. I have lots more pictures and will post a few more later. I'm working on some serious writing so for now I will leave you with these glimpses of the past that is the signage of Hornitos with a bit of humor tossed in for good measure.
The Coca Cola thermometer was working. It was indeed 68-70 degrees today. Mild and beautiful - a perfect day for wandering in the past.
Remember Viceroy cigarettes?
Behind this old table covered in ferns, is the old Standard gas station sign advertising Standard products. She is as fade as the old gas pump out front and more charming because of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The residents of Hornitos have a great sense of humor about their little town. Here you see what is the self-proclaimed Hornitos Hilton but No Vakincies. It was quite the largest house on the street so I guess it deserved its grand name.

Take this sign seriously. Motorcycles and trucks are the vehicles of choice
in this area and they aren't shy about how they pass through.
History in a nutshell

I think at one time Roy's Cafe must have been a very nice gathering place. But now with a population in the low 200's (many of them ranchers) it looks like Roy gave up the ghost a long time ago.





7 comments:
Annie, that was a great tour, I feel like I owe you a docent fee. I recently learned that those old adverts painted on the sides of buildings are called ghost signs. Hornitos has taken good care of this one.
Great pictures! I love the old buildings and signs. What a treasure.
Great photos. Do I remember Viceroy..hahaha, my very first job I worked in a factory on a line putting together cables inside of color TV. I was 19 and all the women smoked and offered me one in the break room. I got so dizzy....
Nice seeing more photos of that place..forgot the name.
Wonderful town and signage, Annie! Read about it on Facebook... :)
I'm so glad you caught it at Facebook, Mary. This is probably my 3rd or 4th post about Hornitos. It is one of my favorite places to visit and there is absolutely nothing there, which I think is its greatest charm. It is, I think, an official ghost town with a very low population. No restaurant, no coffee house, no bookstores, no nothing, not even a small grocery store. The bar barely functions as a bar. It is a place where time has stood still and people still move about within it. I think Hornitos is truly a very rare place.
Annie the messages in the signs are all wonderful, the signs themselves are treasures. I know why you enjoy the town so much it is so peaceful in the photos and must be peaceful to wonder through.
Lee-ann
Interesting pics. I like the Standard gas station one the best.
Post a Comment