Monday, November 16, 2009

Heading South

Two hours south of me is Fresno, CA. Also two hours south is U.S. District Court. Today I am required to appear for jury selection. Jury selection first arrived on my doorstep two months ago. One delay later and I now must go. From my front door to the courthouse' front door, it is 84.3 miles. Lucky me; I get to stay at a hotel if I am selected. Several things really have me down about this but the two big ones are

1. possibly being away from work for an extended period of time; and
2. being away from my family.

I have had other thoughts flit through my mind mostly centering on the bad things of life that I might have to examine in detail. Okay. I can do that but, do I really want to? Hardly.

The interesting thing about this call is that I retire in seven months. After 22 years of working at the university, it is amazing to me that I have been call NOW. Had this happened after June 2010, I would have approached this with no reluctance at all. It would have been an adventure. But now, with all the budget problems, work required for this year, budget planning for next year, 120 students that need attention, 23 faculty to keep track of, and a concert season to keep track of, well, it's just plain difficult.

I don't have a laptop so my presence here may become sporatic. I'm sure the hotel has a computer so I can visit and post at from time to time but if you happen to notice my absence, this is why. So, stay tuned. I may have good news by the end of the day. If not . . . well, this will be just another curve ball that life has tossed my way and I'm very good at ducking and dodging.

3 comments:

Gypsy Purple said...

So how are "The Juror" today?? Keep us posted on the outcome

nonizamboni said...

Timing is everything! Hoping for the best outcome in the days that follow. You sound up for the challenge!

Marilyn Miller said...

Good luck with jury duty. I go to jury duty on Wednesday. I must be our time. But then I can go home at night. That is a very long ways to go for you.