
1. I LOVE fruitcake!!! So does Don. Our kids think we are out of our minds. Go figure.
2. Snow at Christmas would be nice but I haven’t had a white Christmas in longer than I can remember so I guess it really doesn’t matter. In fact, having snow might be a bit disconcerting.
3. Christmas cards start early and go out in waves. Don does his. I send the domestic cards in my first wave. Second wave is all my internationals. The third and final wave is my address book list. By Christmas week they will all be out. I LOVE sending Christmas cards and I expecially love getting cards after Christmas. They are like little smile making surprise visits.

4. It took forever to get a picture of Krista with Santa Claus. She did not like that furry faced fellow at all. Finally, when she was six, she sat with Santa but insisted that Quanah go with her. I treasure that picture.
5. Funny how I don’t remember when I realized that Santa didn’t really come down chimneys to visit us (and by extention, that he actually existed). I sometimes wish he WAS a reality.6. Quanah was born nine days before Christmas. Shortly after we brought him home from the hospital, Don disappeared for several hours. When he got home, he arrived with a tree, ornaments and a manger, all things that we did not have. He went to the mall’s Hallmark store and bought them out. When the manager of the store saw what was going on, he dropped what he was doing and helped Don personally. Don spent $150 that afternoon on the manger and ornaments. Mind you, that is in 1979 dollars.
7. Five years later when Krista was born (a month before Christmas), Don went out and did the same thing, buying all the 1984 Baby’s First Christmas ornaments he could find.
8. Don does all the decorating. And I do mean all. The smartest thing I can do is get out of the way. Krista doesn’t let him get away with it though and she always manages to get in his way.
9. Don makes a banana cake every year memorializing his grandmother and the memory of her wonderful cake.
10. We LOVE watching all of the movies, old and new that come around on TV every year.
11. I always say Merry Christmas. I object to generalized holiday greetings.
12. I'm so into Christmas this year. Spending less and enjoying more. Work isn't a burden either and that is most likely because after June I know I will be retired.

16 comments:
Annie, it sounds wonderful! My daughter was born on the 12th December,1983 and we bought her home from the hospital in searing heat...we had three Christmas stockings over the fireplace counting the teeny tiny red one my Mother knitted!The memories of when our chilren were small is so precious isn't it...a lovely post. Wishing you the merriest of times preparing for, and enjoying Christmas.
A lovely post, Annie. :)
I go hot and cold on Christmas- not the birth of the Lord, surely, but just on all the decorating and getting out cards. This year, because I'm in a new house and all, I really wanted to decorate- so I did. Still working on the Christmas cards, though!
hanks for a wonderful look into your Christmas preps!
xo
Oh, Annie -- how I love this! (And I'm so very glad to hear you say that cards that arrive after the holiday are greeted like joyful little gifts, because at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to make New Years!)
Your list warms my heart and makes me smile with such a beautiful picture of your tradition-oriented, loving family! Don is a treasure! And the photos are wonderful.
Since I'm still in my run and stay in place mode, let me also offer comments on this post to the two below -- the wonderful sepia and especially your advent post about Jesus and John. Much meat in there and great food for thought. Beautiful.
Annie, I spent time catching up. The Dickens faire is just splendid. Thank you for sharing that with us. I didn't even know it existed. Great posts!
Once I had some good fruitcake. It had peanuts in it and was both savory and sweet. Usually I'm not a fan.
Don sounds like a great man.
Merry Christmas to you all.
My husband and I like fruitcake, too!
Merry Christmas!
i'd say Don is a very good man indeed--even helping with the cards. I love reading these sort of lists and learning more about my bloggy pals-yours is no exception.
Yes, I'm with oyu on number 11 too..except I might say "Happy Christmas" a few times instead. :)
Hi Annie,
Loved learning a bit more about you. I chuckled at this one:
"Don does all the decorating. And I do mean all. The smartest thing I can do is get out of the way."
hee hee
Hope you have a good weekend.
Beautiful post, Annie!
I am a December birthday too, (ten days before Christmas!). Your list is wonderful, and thank you for sharing your traditions with us... I believe you could make a smart profit renting Don out to the rest of us!
Dear Annie,
I like your12 facts. Mine are others, but likewise important to me.
As years go by gifts tend to mean less. We all have all of what we need and most of what we want.
The consumer in us never seems to be quite satisfied. We have to deal with that in a new and better way.
For the rest, I wish you a wonderful third Sunday in Advent.
From Felisol
Annie,
I love that story about Don!! What a sweet guy! It was fun getting to know you and him through these 12 Facts.
I enjoyed reading this, Annie! Merry Christmas!
Ahh great post, loved reading it. I would love a piece of his banana cake right now, I'm starving for something sweet!
That is great about Don buying out the stores when the kids were born.
I love your list and love fruitcake too. There is a group of monks up here in Oregon that make a delicious fruitcake, though expensive, I still try to buy one for myself each year.
Merry Christmas!
I like your Christmas memories!
Thank you for sharing how special the Christmas season is to you and your family. Your list of 12 is clever and fun!
I still believe in Santa Claus. As long as there's a St. Nicholas, we can be his helpers. :)
Post a Comment