Monday, July 5, 2010

Treadmills, Rosaries, and Weeds

Ruby Tuesday


I got on the treadmill. I hate my treadmill but I swear I am going to make peace with the bloody thing. I hopped on (well, I use the word hop loosely) and opened my 1957 Daily Maryknoll Missal and found the instructions for saying a proper Rosary. My biggest problem with the Rosary is that I don't know the Apostles' Creed by heart anymore. So - I checked out the prayers, found my Creed, and immediately lifted my eyebrows into my hairline.


This Creed is very different from the Creed we say today. AND! It is one that I never learned by heart. What a beautiful prayer it is. The language and structure and expression of the prayer is like a beautiful painting set to music. Yes, really, try to imagine that.

I found that as I said the prayer, I became unaware of being on the treadmill and time slipped by. As the first decade ended, I increased the speed 1/10th of a mile and noticed that six minutes had passed by. By the time I was halfway through the third decade, I was at 12 minutes and my head was starting to pound. Time to get off.

It occurs to me that I have found the means for taming the treadmill. A daily (or every other day) attack on the treadmill with my peace-filling Rosary should actually get me to my goal of 30 minutes without stopping in a couple of weeks. So - stay tuned as I keep in pushing towards my goal of 30 minutes.

*************************************************
Mellow Yellow Monday

I also gave myself a goal to accomplish this week. The only way the garden will be fixed is by a daily effort. So, out I went (after recovering from the treadmill) and I hacked away at the roses. They are now looking much better. The iris plot was overrun with Johnson grass so I dove into that next. There is nice little pile of pruning and clippings waiting to go into the green can. I've determined that gardening may not be exercise, per se, but you absolutely DO work up a sweat, especially when it's summer in the Central Valley of California. Thank God we don't have humidity.

12 comments:

Dani said...

isnt she lovely? great shot!

Have a sunny Monday!

EG CameraGirl said...

You are becoming very disciplined and I am impressed!

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

Someetimes it is good to multi-task - even on a treadmill! And the garden is always a very satisfying place to be! Sometimes when I weed my garden, I imagine that the weeds are some of my "frustrating" students at school and I rip them out with great gusto!

Love the peacefulness of your first photo!

eileeninmd said...

Good going, it is a good way to pass the time on the treadmill. Very peaceful! I use to listen to music. I am ashamed to say my treadmill now has junk piled on top it. Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Ralph said...

Focus on God and anything is possible. Yes, the treadmill is difficult, but you have found the means to focus on the right things - and of course, your goals can be met then...

Th Creed I am trying to remember. My favorite part, if I remember, has to do with judging us on what we have done...or what we have failed to do. I didn't look it up, but I think that's the phrase. And a humbling one it is...

Leora said...

I am glad you find the rosary and prayer so absorbing that you no longer mind the treadmill. May your prayers be answered in the ways you need.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Yellow rose—
the secrets it knows
it won’t tell.

Squash Blossom

nonizamboni said...

What a great idea to pray the Rosary on that beast--instead of me praying for it to end! Great post, Annie. . .lots of memories there for me too.

reg said...

Believe it or not I seen this post and I thought wow, I need to get my Rosary out and used it. I had forgotten how calming it can be to do it a couple of times with meaning

Laura Paine Carr said...

Dear! Gardening IS exercise (sorry, am I yelling?!). I love reading this post. I love the idea of the Rosaries and the treadmill. I look forward to hearing one day, that you love your treadmill; I am sure this will happen. No more attacking it, as this is not possible while praying, right?
;-)

Marilyn Miller said...

Aren't goals a good thing especially when you find ways that make it easier to achieve them.

Jeanie said...

Rick swears when you do it every day, you get addicted. I haven't bought into that entirely. Or maybe addiction doesn't equate with "love it" -- but I'm very impressed by your commitment and motivation!