Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sunday Scribbles - Curious

Green, brown, sage, yellow bursting from the ground
Flora and fauna in deceptive numbers abound
Blues and whites drift languidly above
Hills and washes fold together, a series of sheltering coves

Mountains harsh, rough and bare
Yucca stands alert
Racing roadrunner and chasing hare
Startled movement, puffs of dirt

Satellite and cell towers
Communications soar
Mountains a far off lookout bower
Of past and present blending lore

It’s always a curiosity to me that
Delicate balance maintains its dignity
In spite of the intrusions of
Modern life

16 comments:

--jenna said...

Oooh, so nice. Even in a rainstorm, I can taste the desert air in your poem...

Ginny Hartzler said...

Amen! It make syou think about it a lot if you're driving around nature looking for photos. Like such beauty, yet power lines in the way, noisy dirt bikes and those cell and electric lines, plus tall water tanks, I could go on...Great poem expressin my thoughts exactly!!!!

George S Batty said...

that is really a great take on curious

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Curiously nice.

John E. Tran said...

Hi Annie!
Thanks for visiting my blog! Long time no talk - hope all is well. Great poem and observation! I think that nature will always win in the end... "Startled movement, puffs of dirt" I love the imagery.
Cheers,
John.

Jae Rose said...

Beautiful imagery..very heartfelt..Jae

Traveler said...

Nice, brought one of my favorite places to mind!

Anonymous said...

I think your interpretation of the delicate balance is so true. I enjoyed this.

keiths ramblings said...

It's amazing that despite mans best efforts to ruin things, everything around us seems totally unaware that anything is different!

Small City Scenes said...

The past and the present somehow blend--sometimes elegantly, sometimes glaringly--and we accept it all. MB

Marja said...

Very beautiful images. I love it and indeed it is a miracle "that a delicate balance maintains its dignity"

Reflections said...

Interesting take on man's advancements and how curious they can really be. And how we pale in our creations compared to those in nature.

Jendocino said...

Beautiful poetry! Thank you for sharing, Annie!

Jeanie said...

Well stated and ever so evocative. How in heaven's name do you find time to do it all -- poetry, photography, creativity, taking care of everyone? My admiration to you...

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

It’s always a curiosity to me that
Delicate balance maintains its dignity
In spite of the intrusions of
Modern life ..

cool lines.
love this,

totomai said...

on point. such a reflective POV on the current situation.