Sweet-faced old man
at the grocery entrance.
A smile. A shy smile.
A blush.
A woman fusses in her car
hoping the man will go
away. Digs in her purse and
finds two one dollar bills.
The bills burn a hole in her
pocket as she enters the
market.
He smiled again but does not
say
a
word.
Shame.
Magazines beckon and
Mother Teresa is turning
100 this week. The pictorial
says "Take me home".
Mother always had the same answer when she was asked what kept her going. She always said, "I see the face of Jesus in the poor and I do it for Him".
I had fail to do the same.
This week's Arise reading is Luke 15:1-10, The Parable of the Lost Sheep. I learned a big lesson from the encounter with the smiling old man. I learned that I was the lost sheep, not him.
?What would I do if I could replay that moment? Would I - step out in love; smile back; ask him "how are you" and wait for an answer; ask him if he needed anything; was he hungry? What might I have done? What might you have done?
I shared this story with my Arise discussion group and the additional account of my second chance.
This morning I saw a woman walking her child to school. I assumed it was school because the little girl was pulling her school bag on wheels. The mom was young, disheveled and wrapped in a black blanket. It was chilly outside and I recall thinking that I wished I had a jacket in the car that I could give her. But then I drove passed and did not give it another thought.
The drive-thru at Starbucks was hanging three deep in the street so I turned in quickly to House of Java and ran in for coffee to go. As I returned to the car preparing to unlock it, I heard a voice call out to me. It was the blanket wrapped woman and her little girl.
She was asking me if I could possibly drive her daughter to school. They were running late, there was a field trip to a retirement home, her daughter would miss it if she didn't arrive on time. My second chance had arrived.
It's funny how disconnected thoughts hopscotch around -
Mom giving me her child;
Was child comfortable going with me - a stranger;
Me not thinking of mom going too. My typical tight focus on the moment;
Asking little girl if she is comfortable going with me;
She asking mom to go too.
Well, duh! I so miss the obvious sometimes. Of course the mom will go with me.
Adult stranger behind me. Keep my eyes on the mirror;
Stop it. You are being ridiculous. You've been given a second chance.
TRUST. You are doing the right thing.
As I dropped her off at school, the little girl saw her classmates and whispered "They haven't left yet". She was glowing as she ran off.
Driving the mom home, I learned a lot about sadness and disappointment. What a terrible thing to believe your mother hates you. Her mother wanted sons and had four daughters. The young woman had two sons and a daughter. She was estranged from her mother and trying to be a better mother by loving her children better than she had been loved herself.
No question - life was a struggle for the young woman but she was willing to step out in faith and ask for help from a stranger. Helping her underscored how lost I had been a few days earlier. But, a few days of reflection and a second chance had been allowed for me and God had sent me my shepherd. I felt found and safe again.
12 comments:
What a beautiful story How many changes a day do we get to do good and how many do we miss. Very nice you took the change and indeed very brave of the woman to ask for help. I don't don't know if I would have the guts to do the same To ask a stranger to help. Oh and I love mother Theresa 100 years that is quite something
Annie, this is really a tremendous inspiration! You need to write more stories like this, you are such a good writer. To even put me and Mother Teresa in the same post is for sure an honor, but I could never touch her faith and commitment. It is something to aspire to, though. What you did, I am ashamed to say that I might have been afraid it would have been a scam of some sort to get in the car with me. My fear might have held me back. I probably would have taken the daughter, but the mom...I don't know. And you were alone. So put your name in place of mine, Annie! You stepped out in faith in a big way and will be richly blessed!! Thanks again for your appreciation of me and my blog!! I am just overwhelmed and extremely touched by this
Hi,
Came over from Ginny's blog, I saw the pic of Mother Teresa on her blogroll...
What a beautiful post, you have written so very well..
We must all help each other to make this place better to live in!!
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post!!
My Yatra Diary...
DEra Annie,
I came over from the Benedict notes. Couldn't leave my comment there, so I'm pasting it here,"Interesting and inforamtive speach.
What I found most "new" and important, was the allegations made against the "road blocks", the bureaucrats, who are serving the machine, not the mission."
Have a blessed Sunday.
From Elise
P.S. We like to think of Mother Theresa as partly "ours".
She made a huge impact on the whole nation, when she visited Norway, receiving the Nobel Peace Price.
Mother Theresa sure seized the opportunity to preach to learned and laymen. She won our hearts without even trying.
Hi Annie, Beautiful post ---and that was nice of you to mention my friend, Ginny. She is an amazing woman--who gives of herself in so many ways.
Love your story--and I probably would have done the same thing that you did.. BUT--there's always a little fear inside of us of 'untrust'.... That's when we have to trust in God with all of our heart.
Hugs,
Betsy
love this,
good life time lessons can be learned in a fun way,
u rock.
Hi Annie nice story, seeing the little girls relief at not being left behind would have been well worth the initial worry...mothers instincts must have kicked in when she asked you for help. Smiles*!*
This is one beautiful story. I really love it.
This one's inspiring. You just did the right thing :) God Bless.
Annie - Thank you for stopping by today. I haven't visited in a long time. I love what you have done with your blog. Your writing is always so inspirational and beautiful!
How many of us need to extend a helping hand when someone is in need? Too many chances pass us by everyday I'm afraid!
Wishing you a beautiful day! ...Alice
Annie, this story brings tears to my eyes -- it really is the true example of trust -- on both side sides, yours and the mom's. It reminds me very much of the thought "second chances" and sometimes they really do happen.
I'm having a giveaway this month -- Please stop by and be sure to look at the post on abundance. I think you will resonate with this story for in some ways, it is really quite similar.
One of my prayers is for 'God Moments' when I am out and about and this certainly was a God moment for you. Annie.
So often we are given them and do not recognise them I know. My prayer is that I will recognise and respond.
Post a Comment